As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.☺️
In this guide, I’m going to show you different ways on how to open a safe without a key or code.
These hacks should come in handy, mostly if you’ve forgotten the combination or keys to your safe.
Let’s get started, shall we?
DIY Hacks on How to Open A Safe Without A Key or Code
There are several ways on how to open a safe without a key or code.
As much as you would want to have a rigid safe for safety purposes, losing the key or forgetting the code combination can really make you anxious.
If you use a portable gun safe, it is easy to forget the keys at the house.
The time taken to access a safe will largely depend on its level of security and the number of available options.
Sentry safes and digital safes are commonly used, and each has different features depending on the brand.
In this article, I have compiled some of the techniques that will give you access to your safe.
1. Using a Paper Clip
A paper clip is the most popular item to open a safe when you don’t the combination or a key .
The process is much easier when you know what you are doing. Here is how to do it:
- Collect the necessary materials- You will need two paper clips: one to be used as a tension wrench and the other to pick the lock. You will also need a plier to straighten the clips.
- Straighten the paper Clips-Use the pliers to unfold the clips until the straightened part is standing at 90°.
This will be used as the tension wrench. You can also use your hands, but the process will be much more challenging.
- Insert the straightened clip into the lock hole, then create pressure using the tension wrench as you turn it clockwise. Ensure you only put in the right amount of pressure. You will break the twisting clip when pressure is too much and fail to open it if the pressure is light.
- Place the other clip’s pointy end on the part of the hole on top, then continue jiggling as you apply the pressure using the wrench. While doing this, try to locate the pins, then jiggle them until they click, and that’s when you will know that it has opened.
2. Use a Hammer and Chisel
Using a hammer and a chisel is another way on how to open a safe without key or code.
Ensure you choose a chisel that has a flattened and extended tip. What you will need to do is:
- Insert the flattened part of the chisel on the keypad, then use the hammer to smack it.
- Once you have dislodged the keypad, remove the lock to access the hole.
- Insert your finger inside the hole to access a button on the lower side.
- Press the button to open the safe.
3. Use a Nail Cutter
You can also open safe using a nail cutter with a file.
The process involves the following steps:
- Open up the nail cutter until it becomes straight and hold it up like a car key.
- Insert the nail cutter into the keyhole, then juggle it up and down as you rotate it counterclockwise.
- Continue turning it until the pin releases.
4. Use a Screwdriver
A screwdriver is also a tool that you can use to open the safe.
What you need to do is:
- Remove the safe from its location, then place it on a flat surface.
- Place the screwdriver’s tip on the safe’s keyhole, then rotate it counterclockwise.
- Continue turning it until the lock opens.
You can also try this method using a knife if you don’t have a screwdriver.
5. Use a Magnet
Using a magnet to open the safe is not a new trick. The trick has been around for quite some time.
When purchasing a gym sock and neodymium magnet ensure you go for the large one.
A gym sock is necessary to minimize the intensity of the magnet.
- Place the magnet inside the sock.
- Locate the solenoid on the safe, which is usually on the front of the safe. The solenoid has a nickel, which is what activates the device.
- Hold the magnet in front of the safe until the safe opens. This process does not cause any damage to the safe.
Remember to be careful when using the magnet as it may harm you if not handled properly.
6. Use a Drill
Drilling is an easier method way of opening the safe.
However, it would be best if you only resorted to this when the other options don’t work for you as the method is messy.
- To start, make a hole in the area that faces the lock inside.
- Once you have made the hole, put your hand inside until you access the lever, then bend it from obstructing the bolt.
You can also drill directly through the lock to break it if you don’t want to destroy the safe’s body.
Keep in mind that some safe’s have cobalt plates installed in the front of the lever to slow down or prevent the drilling.
If this is your case, you need a drill made of titanium or diamond bit because it is strong enough to break the cobalt plates.
You can also drill above the cobalt plates to access the wheel pack then turn the dial as you watch the wheels spin.
Remember, if you make one mistake when drilling the safe, you will damage the safe beyond repair.
7. Reset the Safe
If you have a digital safe, you can use the reset method to open it.
Resetting the combination is much easier and prevents you from damaging the safe in any way.
What you need to do is:
- Collect the necessary materials for the activity. These materials include a flashlight and a long stick. You will also need a new combination for the safe.
- Look for the bolt openings on the back of the safe using the flashlight. You can also find them at the bottom of the safe.
- Once you have accessed the hole, peer through to see the control buttons.
- Insert the stick or a long straightened hanger to the hole, then press the red button.
- Reset the code, then enter the new combination on the keypad inside.
- Once you have reset the combination on the inner part, you can now use it to open the safe on the outside.
8. Use the Dial Method
The dial technique is a method that works for digital safe. You will need a rubber mallet to hit the safe gently.
The process includes:
- Start by dialing the safe the wrong way, which is the opposite of what you usually do. If you turn it clockwise, ensure you turn it anticlockwise.
- Then hit the safe to move the pin blocking the sliding bolt.
- Then quickly turn the dial the correct way. The idea here is to act quickly when the pin is down.
- You should repeat the process until the safe opens.
9. Call the Safe Company
If all else fails, you should consider calling the safe company for help.
The company will give you the combination or the key to the safe. However, you need to provide proof that the safe is yours by providing documents of ownership.
On How To Open A Safe Without A Key Or Code
Above are some of the best and recommended methods on how to open a safe without a key or code.
All these hacks are effective; however, the most effective method involves the use of Rare Earth Magnet.
It’s worth mentioning the fact that you don’t have to be a locksmith to be able to open your safe without key or code.
However, if you find it impossible to open your safe, or can’t get time to accomplish these simple DIY hacks, I would recommend you to call a professional Locksmith.
Once you know how to open a safe without a key or code, you have less to worry about.
Some of the above tips are easy to apply while others are a little bit technical, but they don’t require any special skills to apply.
This really helps when you have an emergency, and you can find the keys in time.
However, note that some methods like using the drill can be messy and destroy the lock, and you will have to find a replacement.